In keeping with our ethos of 21st Century Learning, and global-mindedness, the Central West Leadership Academy plans to offer the International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma Programme instead of the HSC for years 11 and 12.
The IB is an internationally recognised end of high school certification that gains entrance to universities around the world. It is recognised by UAC and translates favourably into an ATAR leading to university entrance accessibility to all Australian Universities.
The Academy will open its enrolment to all students from the region who wish to complete this qualification which is not offered west of the Blue Mountains.
The IB is a unique program where students:
- are encouraged to think independently and drive their own learning
- take part in programmes of education that can lead them to some of the highest ranking universities around the world
- become more culturally aware, through the development of a second language
- are able to engage with people in an increasingly globalised, rapidly changing world.
The IB “aims to broaden students’ educational experience and challenge them to apply their knowledge and skills.”
The three core elements are:
- Theory of knowledge, in which students reflect on the nature of knowledge and on how we know what we claim to know.
- The extended essay, which is an independent, self-directed piece of research, finishing with a 4,000-word paper.
- Creativity, activity, service, in which students complete a project related to those three concepts.
The six subject groups are:
- Studies in language and literature
- Language acquisition
- Individuals and societies
- The arts.
The IB has a unique learner profile which aims to develop learners who are:
This is an exciting and unique offering that will add a breadth of choice and opportunity to students and families in the Central West.
For more information about the Diploma Program of the IB, visit http://ibo.org/programmes/diploma-programme/what-is-the-dp/
To watch a video about the uniqueness of the IB Learner Profile, check out: http://ibo.org/benefits/learner-profile/